Blog 2# VISITOR AND RESIDENT MAPPING

Visitor and Resident mapping is a great way to explain the use of technology. When, where and how technology needs to be is properly explained in this mapping technique (While, 2014). It gives a proper visual interpretation of how individuals engage online. The visitor end of mapping just means how an individual can view his/her requirements online without leaving any hint or trace on social media whereas the Resident end of mapping is how individuals interact with people online socially, share their opinions and obtain connections leaving behind a trace of them socially. For example, when we are just googling something online, we get whatever information we required, close the tab and do not go back to that again, i.e., visitor end of the spectrum whereas our motive completely changes when we are on the visitor mode, our main motive is to connect with people online and we leave a trance.

Furthermore, there is a thin line between personal and institutional curricula. Professionally/institutionally, there are many digital platforms developed in recent times that help students for example zoom, LinkedIn or indeed. In the covid situations during the last 3 years, we all are aware of how we are not able to attend school physically and zoom has played a very vital role. Zoom sessions were held for every class which has helped us learn the subject through physical interaction was not possible. LinkedIn or indeed is a great way to deal with creating resumes, connecting with HRs, getting to know all the companies and staying in constant touch with people all around the world. Personally, the digital platforms that I would rely on are Snapchat, Facebook and Instagram. These help me personally to stay in touch with my friends and family.

Privacy and security are concerns for personal identity. For example, there was a situation when I was using LinkedIn which I was using to establish connections and it happened so, that my Facebook was connected which my LinkedIn. I failed to notice that all the HRs were able to view my personal posts and pictures. That’s when I realized there needs to be a check between personal and professional accounts. Immediately, I unlinked my Facebook with LinkedIn. Keeping a check on these small things is important.

My VR Map

• White, D. [University of Oxford]. (2014, Mar 10). Visitors and Residents. Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPOG3iThmRI
  • “Using the Digital Visitors and Residents App.” Visitors and Residents, OCLC Research , http://experimental.worldcat.org/vandrmapping/editMap. 

1. mahi

Hi Sree,
    Like your V&R map! Wow, HRs were able to view your personal posts and pictures! Hopefully noting awkward on the Facebook account. Do you think that even if you were posting something awkward, HR had the right to ask you to take those off?

• sree25

I, definitely, don’t think HR has the right to ask us to take something off of our account. But I think, the individual has to make sure that he/she is not posting anything awkward before using Facebook as a tool where there’s a chance that the HR’s can have a look at it.